]]>

« Home | Vegas: Not like anything I've ever seen. » | Nevada: No blown-out tires on the road this time. » | Arizona: Also unexpected. » | Zion: National parks are fun! » | Here we go. » | Utah: Have you ever noticed that almost all of the... » | Colorado: Are we there yet? » | Nebraska: Growing on me. » | Iowa: Sioux City still smells. » | South Dakota: Some people would tell you there are... »

Monday, May 29, 2006

The traffic sucks, but I like having a radio.

Well, I'd been meaning to post something here about the Prairie Home Companion Soundtrack that I purchased last week, but the Head Kid beat me to it. His post includes my favorite lyrics and an explanation of why I love the soundtrack so much. So, all I'll say is that you should buy the cd, especially if you're a displaced midwesterner.

In other NPR news, I listened to a great episode of This American Life yesterday. The theme this week focused on stories and memories that make us cringe. It was a well-timed episode for me as I realized recently that I now have a sufficient distance from college to truly cringe at my undergraduate foolishness.

The best part of the show was Ira Glass's account of a series of bumbling interviews he conducted with the cast of M.A.S.H. at the age of 20. He astutely points out that in listening to the tapes of the interviews, the things that were the most cringe-worthy were the nervous habits that he knows haven't changed.

Anyway, it's a great show and it's now available at This American Life. Listen and I promise you'll laugh . . . and cringe. And, if you are at all introspective, you'll probably dredge up some long-buried cringe-worthy memory and marvel at the person you once were.


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...

Add a comment

 
eXTReMe Tracker