]]>

« Home | I didn't know buffalo are vain. » | It's official. » | Out of practice. » | It's been a good weekend. » | Instead of a song, I've got a poem stuck in my head. » | "There are no words that can tell the hidden spiri... » | SoDak is where it's at. » | Important lessons learned tonight. » | Yay Mom! » | Update: I didn't get much done today. »

Thursday, February 03, 2005

12 Hours in DC

I got back late last night from my day trip to DC. On the whole, the trip was a lot of fun. I hadn't realized how ready I was to get out of New York for a while and going somewhere familiar was a nice treat. The interview went well, I think. It wasn't really what I expected, but I think I came across as reasonably intelligent anyway.

Here's a recap of a few of the interesting things that happened throughout the course of my day:

  • I got asked out by the guy sitting next to me on the way to DC. Despite the fact that he was fairly good looking and didn't seem too crazy, I politely declined. Advice to future suitors? Don't use this line, "All I want to do is get married and have children . . . *thoughtful pause* . . . hey, are you single?"
  • I made a quick stop at the Smithsonian's new National Museum of the American Indian. The building alone was worth the trip. I used to drive past the construction site on my way to work, so it was gratifying to see the finished product. Also, there's a very cool exhibit featuring the artwork of Allan Houser and George Morrison right now. Unfortunately, I only had a small window of time to be there, so I kind of rushed through the rest of the exhibits. I need to go back.
  • The employees at the Starbucks on Pennsylvania, east of the Library of Congress, confirmed that they are still incapable of correctly filling an order. I was charged for a tall macchiato despite ordering a grande latte and was given a raspberry muffin instead of the slice of blueberry bread that I'd asked for. Thanks, Starbucks, for making it feel like old times!
  • I glanced into the Trover Bookstore to see if they were selling Akiku the Sealpups or any other porcelain animals. No luck. I miss Civil Procedure.
  • I had lunch with a couple friends from my office at one of our old lunchtime standards. I miss my job.
  • I met a group of sorta skeezy lobbyists while I was chatting with one of my former bosses. A couple of the lobbyists were lawyers and when they found out that I'm a 1L and taking administrative law, one of them bragged to me that he had "the mother of all admin outlines." He then explained, in surprising detail, how he compiled the masterpiece. I guarantee that no one at his law school liked him.
  • I tripped on my way out of one of the metro stations. It wasn't a little stumble; I ended up completely sprawled out on the sidewalk. As I clumsily stood up, I noticed a couple had stopped to see if I was okay. While the wife kindly asked if I was hurt, the husband pointed at the gaping hole from which I was removing myself and said, "hey, you tripped there." Gee thanks, that's sooo helpful.
So, I returned to New York last night a little bruised and bloodied, but pleased with the day nonetheless.


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...

Add a comment

 
eXTReMe Tracker