]]>

« Home | Important lessons learned tonight. » | Yay Mom! » | Update: I didn't get much done today. » | A world of possibility. » | There are so many things more interesting than pro... » | Snow Day! » | Frostbite, etc. » | This is just a test run. » | Chatterbox. » | I've not paid any attention to the news today. »

Thursday, January 27, 2005

SoDak is where it's at.

Due to his recent post, The Head Kid asked me tonight if I've ever posted anything about the uniqueness of growing up in South Dakota. I haven't, really. Like him, I'm usually the first South Dakotan new aquaintances have ever met. Over the years, there are several things I've brought up in conversation that non-South Dakotans have generally found to be odd. Here's a short list:

  • First things first, I'll always use the words "pop" and "supper." Also, I pronounce "root" the way it's supposed to be pronounced (rhymes with foot).
  • Head cheese, 'nuff said.
  • Kuchen -- best dessert ever.
  • I like places so flat you can see the curvature of the Earth.
  • I've helped clean animals my dad killed and I've gone hunting with him once or twice.
  • My high school prom (and other formals) included a "grand march." All the couples were announced and we then paraded through the auditorium. Much of my town attended.
  • I've had school called off 'cuz it was too cold. It wasn't that there was too much snow (it was too cold to snow), it was just so cold that kids who had to stand outside waiting for the bus were at too much risk of losing a digit to the cold (think 30 below zero or so).
  • The most beautiful thing I've ever seen is the combination of a golden wheat field, a stormy blue sky, and green grass. It's breathtaking.
  • My high school has a "legend" that we perform, complete with strobe lights, at homecoming. It's about two Native American tribes coming to the shores of the lake near town. They fight and then decide to merge. According to the legend, all the current high school students and alumni are members of that tribe. Okay, even I admit that's kind of bizarre.
  • I know everyone in my state. Well, that's not entirely true, but I doubt there's anyone from whom I'm separated by more than one degree. The SoDak name game is fast and fun. Ask anyone at NYU -- the few people who've previously known or met someone from SoDak have been amazed that I generally know or have met that person, too.
  • Going to a potluck dinner? Well, you're not cool unless you bring a "hotdish" (known in some parts as a "casserole"), "bars" (cookies or brownies made in a cake pan and cut into squares), or a "salad" (lettuce doesn't suffice up north, you need make that salad with noodles, fruit, vegetables, jell-o, mayonnaise, raisins, nuts, dairy, meat, or some combination thereof) .

Well, that's all I thought of off the top of my head. I'm sure they're are other things. I'll post them some other time.

UPDATE: My part of SoDak (the Glacial Lakes and Prairies Region) really is where it's at. Tourism was up nearly 40% in some parts last year (proof). It seems the world is finding us.


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...

I know a lot about bison. And I love them.

I met a girl for the first time last night in Denver. When I found out she was from SD, I asked if she knew a guy who was my bro's best man in his recent wedding. She sang in choir with him growing up. Other surrounding friends were amazed. I was not.

Smokey the Bear was my school mascot and my prom and graduation ceremony were held at Mt. Rushmore.

Hans Brix is absolutely right, no one outside of SoDak seems to be aware that Terry Redlin (from my hometown!) is "America's Favorite Artist." Thing is, I try not to bring him up in conversation too often.

Also, my high school mascot was an "Arrow" -- y'know like the ones the Indians used. Combine that with the legend thing, and well, there's been litigation.

Add a comment

 
eXTReMe Tracker