]]>

« Home | This is just a test run. » | Chatterbox. » | I've not paid any attention to the news today. » | When it rains, it pours. » | I ♥ the Senate* » | Sigh. » | I'm regressing. » | Second-guessing ourselves. » | What a lazy day. » | Hmm . . . not sure what to make of this. »

Saturday, January 22, 2005

Frostbite, etc.

This morning I ran the New York Road Runners Frostbite 7 Mile race in Central Park. For those of you who know just how out of character this kind of thing is for me, I've included proof:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

My half-marathon training program happened to require a seven mile run this weekend and I decided signing up for a race would force me to actually run it. I've never run a race before and I was suprised to find that I actually enjoy running with a big group of people. My time was
super slow, but it was better than I'd expected. I think that's due in large part to the motivation that comes with not wanting to be the last finisher.

I also kind of like running in the cold. The temperature was in the teens throughout the race, which meant I had ice in my hair for most of it and I had to break through a layer of ice in the cups of water they set out for us every mile. But, it was still significantly warmer than SoDak and after the first mile or so, I was plenty warm.

Right now, it's snowing. NYC might get up to a foot of snow this afternoon. I stopped at Whole Foods after the race and discovered that all of New York was there stocking up on food. The regular check-out line streched across the entire store and was rumored to take 45 minutes (the express line, which I used, was much quicker). A foot of snow is significant, but my mom sent me a photo yesterday that reminded me a foot's not really that big of a deal (yup, that's me approximately 20 years ago).

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

So, I'm going to take what's probably an illegal dose of Tylenol (seven miles is hard!) and go get cozy in the library. I'll be spending the afternoon catching up on the torts reading I've been neglecting all week.

Oh, and by the way, if you're also stuck indoors this weekend and you need background noise, listen to "Plan B" at This American Life. I'm not the first person to find it, but that doesn't matter; it's still great. Best quote: “People in bars apparently need Cuervo shot glasses and t-shirts to live, and they will do many things to get them.” The second segment also presents a brilliant solution to the problems involved in making sure new friends know all the crucial stories from your life. Check it out.


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...

Whoa... Congratulations! Damn. You know it was snowing today, right? Wait, was it snowing when you were running!? *Gasp*

I remember that truck...and know that weather well! Remember when the only exercise that interested us was biking to the Dairy Queen, porking out, and totally negating the ride? Look how far you've come!

Neo Tokyo: No snow during the race, just during the trek home.

Hans Brix: Telling people about finishing the race has turned out to be as much, if not more fun that actually finishing.

Katherine: We didn't always ride to the Dairy Queen; sometimes we went to Gas & Goodies to get candy.

Add a comment

 
eXTReMe Tracker