]]>

« Home | Frostbite, etc. » | This is just a test run. » | Chatterbox. » | I've not paid any attention to the news today. » | When it rains, it pours. » | I ♥ the Senate* » | Sigh. » | I'm regressing. » | Second-guessing ourselves. » | What a lazy day. »

Sunday, January 23, 2005

Snow Day!

Well, not really. Nothing in my life was actually cancelled because of the snow, but I did change my plans for the day. I'd forgotten that large amounts of snow automatically trigger my "get stuff done inside" instincts. Originally, I'd planned to go to a movie this afternoon and to take care of some boring shopping errands, but after looking at the slushy, semi-plowed streets this morning, I opted to stay within my apartment and to briefly venture to the library. The snowy streets also prompted me to wash my dirty dishes, tidy up my room, and for the first time this semester, actually finish all the reading I'd planned to do during the weekend.

This evening I did venture out for dinner and I'd planned to go to the gym, but I guess they closed early (or maybe they close early every Sunday night?). I stopped at CVS on my way home to buy nylons and was reminded of just how difficult a task that is. The colors all sound innocuous, but I know from experience that they can end up looking horrible. I also know that the goal for any pair of nylons is that they not be noticed when you're wearing them. Like makeup, they should just blend in (which is why, Hils, I'm not taking your advice about buying fine grade fishnets*). Anyway, I think I have to exchange the ones I bought. I should've thought about this much earlier so I wasn't left picking from the options at CVS.

I returned to my apartment to find that my neighbors had had a baking party and they gave me delicious chocolate zucchini bread and pineapple cake . . . that's the same as going to the gym, right?

I'm now happily downloading new music. I discovered during break that I can no longer listen to most of my favorite music from last semester -- it all reminds me of studying for finals. I tried to listen to Bob Dylan's It Takes a Lot to Laugh, It Takes a Train to Cry the other day and my shoulders immediately got all tense.

If you have any music recommendations, please post them in the comments or email me. I'll try most anything but according to itunes I've lately been listening to The Thrills, The Shins, and Modest Mouse (MM is really just a weak attempt at reliving the glory days of my summer road trip). For those of you who share rather than scoff at my affection for country music, I've also been listening to Lucinda Wiliams, Patty Griffin, Bruce Robison, and Slaid Cleves.


* When I spell checked this post, it recommended that I replace "fishnets" with "viscounts." Huh.


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

May I recommend Omaha native Conor Oberst of Bright Eyes. Grant it everyone is talking about him and he is no longer a secret, but his two albums that come out tomorrow are supposed to be really good and you can get a sneak preview of some of the songs at http://www.saddle-creek.com/.

Besides, with Johnny Carson gone, we Nebraskans need some entertainer to look up to.

ejl

May I recommend Omaha native Conor Oberst of Bright Eyes. Grant it everyone is talking about him and he is no longer a secret, but his two albums that come out tomorrow are supposed to be really good and you can get a sneak preview of some of the songs at http://www.saddle-creek.com/.

Besides, with Johnny Carson gone, we Nebraskans need some entertainer to look up to.

ejl

The cd that currently refuses to leave my cd player at the moment is Iron & Wine "Our Endless Numbered Days." My favorite track is #2 "Naked As We Came." It's super cool! Just a guy and his guitar...great studying music for sure!

Add a comment

 
eXTReMe Tracker