]]>

« Home | A little bit of productivity. » | So, you like being home, then? » | Ah, Spring Fling » | I changed my desktop picture in honor of Spring Br... » | 40 Hours » | How did I live without this? » | A little confession. » | I'm too young for this. » | Poppycock » | Mission: Accomplished »

Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Back at the Libs

I've sort of claimed a table as my own here at the library. It's the only one close enough to an outlet for me to plug in the laptop. Also, it's by a window. It's mine. Yesterday, about the time that the high school let out for the day, a sullen young man intent on downloading music took a seat by me and glared until I packed up my stuff to go. Don't worry, I didn't let him intimidate me, I was leaving then anyway.

I went out to dinner with my brother and his girlfriend last night. She seems very nice, a bit shy, but nice. Actually, she may not be shy at all. She's 19 and this was her first trip to her boyfriend's hometown; she had good cause to be nervous. My big exciting plans for tonight are to read ahead in Property and finish up some Indian Child Welfare Act research. I'm headed to my grandma's house tomorrow, so this is probably my last significant chunk of study time. Oh, I'll watch Gilmore Girls, too. Of course.

Katherine Von Bora graciously pasted her recipe for chicken enchiladas in the comments of a previous post, but I'm also going to paste it in here since they were so popular. Plus, yesterday's post featured a poem, so a recipe today seems appropriate. I think in honor of Spring Break every post this week will have such a bonus.

By the way, if you're looking for a good mellow song, track down We're All In This Together by Old Crow Medicine Show. I love it a little more each time I hear it.


Chicken Enchiladas - Gringo Style
1 small chicken, boiled and shredded (chicken breasts or tenders will do, as will broiling)
16 oz. carton sour cream (I use low fat)
1 large bunch green onions, finely chopped
1 can Cream of Chicken soup (low fat/low salt)
1 can Cream of Celery soup (low fat/ low salt)
1 small can diced green chilies, drained (use jalapenos if you want it
hot...I did)
18 - 24 corn tortillas (important!) Don't use thin, flour tortillas.
16 oz. Monterey Jack cheese
16 oz. Longhorn Colby cheese
(Tip for the super-lazy: buy cojack shredd in 32 oz. bag)

Mix sour creme, soup, chilies, and 2/3 of the onion.
Set aside 1/3 of this mixture for topping.
Spread some of the mixture in a 9X13 cake pan (1/4" layer)

If your tortillas are soft enought, you can skip this part. Quickly heat a corn tortilla in oil over medium heat. Use tongs, lay tortilla in oil, turn once, and remove when tortilla is limp. Drain excess oil on paper towels. DO NOT overcook or they won't roll easily.

Put small spoonful of sour creme mixture, some cheese, and some of the shredded chicken on the edge of a tortilla (or mix it all together in a bowl first and glop it on together). Roll the tortilla up and lay it in the baking dish. Continue to heat, fill, and roll tortillas until you:
1. run out of room in the dish
2. run out of tortillas
3. run out of patience!

Spread the reserved sour cream mixture on top of the rolled tortillas, cover with leftover cheese, and sprinkle with remaining onion.

Bake at 375 degrees for about 25 minutes. Should be bubbly, hot. Cool for about 5 minutes before serving.

These can be frozen before baking for use at a later time, also.

"Eat these often enough and I'll guarantee you'll become 'muy gordo' in no time!"

~ My gringo-second-cousin-once-removed and his not-so-gringo wife


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...

Yes, you do in fact bake enchiladas like that, but I hate to say it, that recipe is seriously flawed. Cream of anything is never used in proper Tex-Mex cooking. That sounds like hot dish heads for the border to me.

I will give you that most of the recipe is correct, especially the part about how to treat the corn tortillas. That's the true secret to perfect enchiladas.

Add a comment

 
eXTReMe Tracker