]]>

« Home | Poppycock » | Mission: Accomplished » | Handwritten is best » | Oh wow, I feel old. » | I ♥ Target » | The relaxing days are over. » | Confidence matters » | Three good things that happened today: » | Feeling a little moochy. » | The snow's not so much fun anymore. »

Monday, March 07, 2005

I'm too young for this.

I went to recruiting event tonight featuring a bunch of lawyers from California law firms. More and more, I'm confident that I don't want to stay in New York after I graduate. It's exciting and dynamic and all sorts of other wonderful adjectives, but it's not me. I've lived here for almost six months and it's not even close to feeling like home. After just a couple of months in DC, I achieved the "at home" feeling. You know, the point where the town starts to feel comfy and you're willing to deal with its inconveniences and hassles without too much griping or anger. I like New York, but it feels just as temporary now as it did in August.

So, I'm viewing this summer as a test run for California. If I like it and if at any point it starts to feel homey, I'll seriously consider it for my 2L summer, as well. I am, however, worried about Early Interview Week. I have to make my priority list for interviews before I leave for California. Should I put down a bunch of Bay Area firms just because I'm pretty sure I'll like it there? What about Southern California? Some of the firms I'm interested in only have offices there, but I've never been south of Palo Alto. Do I apply anyway? Will they take me seriously as a candidate if I've only lived in Northern California? I'm planning to make at least one trip each to L.A. and San Diego, but that seems kind of weak. Also, I'm afraid moving to CA would make me a cliche. Progressive midwesterners who are sick of cold winters all move to CA, right? Ugh. I hate making these kinds of decisions.

Usually, my approach to job searches is to find a couple of jobs that I'm qualified for and really want. Then I just focus all of my attention on convincing the employer that they can't live without me. The problem is that I don't know enough right now to do that kind of thing with firms. I guess I'll apply to a bunch of DC firms and a variety in CA. Oh, I also like Chicago, so some there, too. Reasonable?

The most annoying thing is that I'm still awfully unsure about working for a firm at all. Thing is, I've heard from several public interest sources recently that working for a firm is great training.

So, uh, this post has been kind of whiny. Sorry about that. What's upbeat? Spring Break! Three days, three days, three days! Yay!


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...

Add a comment

 
eXTReMe Tracker