]]>

« Home | I need some advice. » | The word of the week is "relaxed." » | No more interviews! » | The morning's conversation with the guy at my apar... » | Three-day weekend and not a lot of homework. » | Okay, I think I'm going to stop now. » | Thinking of home and other stuff. » | This morning's bloody mary was a necessity. » | Ew. » | There's a reason I try not to turn on my TV. »

Monday, February 28, 2005

The snow's not so much fun anymore.

Tomorrow's March and that means spring is very nearly here. Today, however, it’s snowing in New York. I appreciate snow more than your average New Yorker, but I’m getting a little sick of it. I’m also sick of the cold and the wind. I’m ready for spring. So ready, I spent about an embarrassingly long time this morning shopping online for my favorite annual spring purchase: Reefs.

Reef sandals were first brought to my attention in college and in recent years, I've basically lived in them from April well into October. I currently own two pairs and both have held up admirably well. I probably don't need a new pair, but at approximately $20 a pair, I don't feel too extravagent adding a third to my collection.

Also, the new 2005 models are pretty snazzy. There are several bright and fun women's styles that I'm considering. There's also a new men's line designed by a surfer that include a bottle opener in the sole (I've referred those to friends who I think might utilize such a feature).

My elementary school used to have strict rules about wearing shorts in the spring. Usually, the principal would make an announcement once it was determined that the weather justified shorts (not unreasonable considering the number of times it's snowed on my late-April birthday parties). The day that we finally got to wear shorts to school was always a milestone. It meant that winter was officially over and that the fun of summer was just around the corner. That's how I feel about sandals now. Slipping on my Reefs means that the weather's nice enough to support truly spontaneous fun (the kind that doesn't require the forethought of socks and tennis shoes). Also, my last job had fairly strict rules about wearing open-toed shoes during the workday, so sandals now have carry with them a feeling of rebellion, as well.

Maybe it's silly to place big expectations on a pair of flip-flops, but Reefs have never let me down and I'm confident my new pair will only bring about good things.


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...

Add a comment

 
eXTReMe Tracker