]]>

« Home | Check it out. » | Did you hear that? » | Dinner and mail » | Wired for Chaos » | Dried apricots suck. » | I'm feeling nostalgic -- bear with me. » | Back in New York. » | I hate slushy roads. » | Stranded. » | Quiet and Sleepy »

Thursday, January 13, 2005

I applied to my first law firm today.

I doubt I'll actually end up working in a firm this summer, but there's one that I had some interaction with while I was in DC and they have practice areas that I'm interested in, so I sent them a resume. Actually, they do a fair bit of administrative and election law which are, for now, the only two areas of practice for which I'd be willing to work in a firm.

Lately, I've been experiencing some angst regarding my career plans; I enjoy law school, but I have the too-common problem of not actually wanting to be a lawyer. I think there's a pretty good chance I'm going to end up back in politics and public policy and I'm a little worried about the debt load I've taken on to get this education. Sure, NYU has a great loan repayment program for public servants, but I don't think that'll solve all my financial problems.

I did, however, have my first adminsitrative law class today and I'm really excited about it. I haven't felt this excited about a class since my undergraduate constitutional law class on government powers (hey, I'm consistent). I'm feeling a little better today -- this admin stuff will be helpful if I decide to practice in a firm or if I return to the Hill. It takes a special kind of geek to get truly excited about the legislative process and agency regulations, but I defintely fit the profile. So, I've decided to embrace my geekiness and throw a few resumes and cover letters to firms that focus on administrative law. I'll probably still end up doing something political this summer, but at the very least, I'll have created the impression that I'm exploring other options.


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...

Add a comment

 
eXTReMe Tracker