]]>

« Home | Back in New York. » | I hate slushy roads. » | Stranded. » | Quiet and Sleepy » | Go team. » | My day's been a jumble of unrelated events. » | Feelin' the same way all over again. » | Merry Christmas » | The downside of conservation. » | Giddy. »

Wednesday, January 05, 2005

I'm feeling nostalgic -- bear with me.

Despite the fact that I don't usually like year-in-review type things and that I'm a few days late, I'm still writing this post about my 2004. It was a monumental year for me and I've been thinking a lot about how I'm going to top it in 2005. It'll be tough; 2004 was a transition year and transitions that go smoothly are rare and exciting things.

I started this post over the weekend, but it got to be too long and confusing. So, instead of rambling about the details of 2004, I've sorted out three of the most important things of my year:


1. Travel

In 2004, I saw America, or at least I saw a lot of America. I'd wanted to go on a Great American Road Trip for years and once I'd decided to go to law school, I saw the time between quitting my job and starting school as my a great opportunity to do it. During July and August, I drove from the Eastern Shore of Maryland to San Francisco and then doubled back to South Dakota. During the months I lived in DC, I went on several fun weekend/day trips to places like Chicago, Philadelphia, Richmond, and on one particularly memorable all-night drive to Wilkesboro, NC for Merlefest. Law school was a pretty big barrier to travel this fall, but I did get to spend election day in southwest Florida.

The result of all this travel is not just that I've seen a lot of places (25 states this year), but also that I have a better understanding of distance and location. When I talk to a friend on the West Coast, I'm now able to accurately gauge and visualize the distance between us. I remember feeling oddly patriotic when I finally reached the Pacific Ocean. I think it was because that was really the first time I had any real understanding of the country's size. I've always loved exploring new places and driving is my preferred mode of travel -- it was a good year.

2. Moving


Moving away from DC was an unexpectedly difficult and emotional experience. Despite the frustrations I mentioned in yesterday's post, I had a good life in DC and moving there had been the first big thing I did entirely on my own. In addition, this year marked my first big move that wasn't prompted by a high school or college graduation -- the decision to leave DC was initiated by only my ambitions. I could have stayed in DC (there were opportunities I neglected in favor of law school) and I probably would've been content there. Deciding to go to law school instead of continuing to work in DC meant I had to take big chance on my own potential and rely on a hunch that a law school education would eventually help me do bigger and better things. It was a good decision . . . but also a terrifying one.

3. Friends


I've commented a few times that 2004 was my "Year of the Friend." Because of all my traveling, I was able to visit several far-flung friends over the course of the year. During those visits, I found new appreciation for how singularly wonderful each of my friends is. For the past few days, I've been trying for a few days to identify any common traits among my close friends and I've finally found one; all of them lead lives of purpose and compassion. They don't just plan to look out for others or to work at making the world a better place, they actually do it. Cliches about monies being put where mouths are and pedals being put to the metal were coined for them. They're inspiring and generous, and I'm grateful they keep me around.

My new understanding of distance has also left me in awe of creative ways my friends and I have found to stay in touch this year. Last January, I became a founding member of the Granola Hulks Book Club, the world's hippest online book club (membership is currently limited to nine women who lived on 2nd floor Granskou during the 2001-02 school year). A few weeks ago, one especially creative Hulkster took the time to compile the club's frequent emails and monthly IM conversations from the past year into a book that she then sent to each member. The book chronicles life-changing events like weddings, new jobs, new schools, and big moves. Just as importantly though, it chronicles inside jokes, dumb nicknames, and moments of pure silliness. In other words, the stuff any friendship needs to prosper. In the past couple months, several blogs have also popped up among my circle of friends allowing us to keep even better tabs on the big events, funny moments, and ongoing dilemmas of each other's lives. I am thrilled that despite the distances between most of us, these people continue to play important roles in my life instead of becoming just familiar faces at reunions or yearly Christmas cards.


So, that's it, my salute to 2004. I guess it's not quite as short as I promised. Oh well, here's to making 2005 even better.


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...

YOU are inspiring and generous! Fabulous reflection!

It sounds like you have fantastic friends.

Add a comment

 
eXTReMe Tracker