]]>

« Home | Merry Christmas » | The downside of conservation. » | Giddy. » | Things that made today awesome. » | Well, I'm done. » | This has to be a good sign. » | The unthinkable has happened. » | I think I've figured out my problem. » | Oh Lord. » | Motivation Update »

Monday, December 27, 2004

Feelin' the same way all over again.

It's not often that I quote lyrics from Norah Jones songs, but I heard that one in a movie last night and it seemed appropriate. I spent most of the afternoon and early evening with high school friends -- some of whom I hadn't seen since, well, high school.

Everyone seemed very happy and successful (by successful, I mean they're doing things they want to be doing). I felt really good when I left the restaurant -- I think it's because it's reassuring to talk with people who choose their careers, partners, and areas of study rather than just taking what comes along. Their stories help me believe it's possible to not fall into and be trapped by a job or life I hate. At Christmas dinner, one of my uncles made a comment about it being impossible to find a job that was anything other than just a means for living your "real life." That was a depressing moment, and I have to believe there's another way. Maybe we're all still too young and naive, but learning about my high school friends' lives and choices made me feel optimistic.

Since it was a gathering of former high school debaters, there were also lots of current and former law students. We compared battle stories from finals and I really needed that. My family and non-law school friends have been incredibly patient listening to me ramble about felony-murder and the Erie Doctrine, but it's just not the same.


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...

Add a comment

 
eXTReMe Tracker