]]>

« Home | This is going to be clean-up weekend. » | 12 Hours in DC » | I didn't know buffalo are vain. » | It's official. » | Out of practice. » | It's been a good weekend. » | Instead of a song, I've got a poem stuck in my head. » | "There are no words that can tell the hidden spiri... » | SoDak is where it's at. » | Important lessons learned tonight. »

Sunday, February 06, 2005

Poor planning and a trick knee.

I've got just over an hour left in this weekend and I've yet to start my reading for tomorrow's 9am Lawyering class. Unfortunately, I've been told that it's going to take a while to get through the cases. Oh well, my procrastination was justified. I spent the morning and early afternoon reading for tomorrow's marathon four-hour admin class and then I went running. I've spent the last few hours watching the Super Bowl. I don't love football on tv, but I can tolerate it one night a year. Also, while I don't consider myself a true fan of the Patriots, I had to root for fellow South Dakotan Adam Vinatieri (for more on his SoDak credentials, click here).

The run this afternoon was kind of painful. I fell earlier this week and landed awkwardly on my left knee. It's been black and blue for a few days, but I didn't think I'd done any serious damage to it. Alas, about two miles into today's run, my slightly tattered knee put up a protest so mighty I walked most of the rest of my four-mile route.

It was okay, though; the weather was beautiful and I could see the towers of the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge, which is one of the longest suspension bridges in the world (it used to be the longest, but then some bridge in England came along and beat it). Did you know that the Verrazano's towers are so tall and so far apart that their tops are 1 5/8 inches farther apart than their bottoms to compensate for the curvature of the earth between them? It's amazing. I watched ten minutes of a PBS special on the bridge yesterday, so it was nice to see it from a distance this afternoon. I also have a weird fascination with bridges (all kinds -- suspension, covered, foot -- you name it, I like it). The part of my brain that likes math enjoys thinking about their design. Unfortunately, the larger part of my brain that quickly gets bored with anything involving numbers usually takes over.

The rest of my run/walk was stimulating as well. Battery Park on a warm Sunday afternoon is a fun cacophony of languages and accents. I also ran past the trapeze school featured in Sex & the City and returned home via the West Village. I'm still constantly surprised at how much I like living in New York. My interviewer earlier this week asked me if I was planning to stay in NYC like most NYU Law grads and I told him truthfully that I prefer DC. That said, there's really no place else I'd rather spend these three years.



E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...

Add a comment

 
eXTReMe Tracker