]]>

« Home | I'm not a good singer. » | I was supposed to do homework last night. » | It's official, I'm insane. » | Awesome. » | That's enough rain. » | West Village discoveries » | Rainy Saturday » | Word of the Day » | I like this. » | In a rut. »

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

I spent most of my night

completely engrossed by the conference report for the 2002 Farm Bill. It's nights like tonight, when it's rainy and cold and I'm happily ensconced in the law library piecing together legislative history, that I remember just how much of a dork I am. Also, I've been pretty nonchalant about school so far this semester and it's good to be excited about something again. It is, in fact, a relief to find that I'm still academically curious at heart.

I spent a lot fo my time this evening trying to sort out some complicated Congression funding mechanisms for a USDA conservation program. If there's one thing I learned from my time on the Hill, it's that it's always easier to ask someone those kinds of questions than it is to sort it out by myself. So, I emailed one of my old bosses. She's still employed on the Hill and was working late. Almost immediately, she shot back a thoughtful email complete with a helpful CRS report and an offer to take a lot at the authorizing language herself. She's great and what's most amazing is that most of the people I used to work with were great in the same ways. They were smart, dedicated, and generous. I miss them.

For a while now, I've been pushing on others that "networking" (I hate that word) should be focused on quality, not quantity. Tonight was just one of many examples of why I think I'm right on this one. I could have a million Congressional business cards, but none of them would garner me the kind of personal attention I get from and am willing to return to people like my former co-workers. I guess all of this is just my roundabout way of saying that I'd rather spend the bulk of my "networking" time cultivating the relationships I already have rather than indiscriminately making new, fleeting contacts. Besides, real networks are born from shared experiences, teamwork, and trust; all things that are rarely present at events that boast "networking" opportunities.

Well, this post has landed pretty far afield from where it started. That's okay. I'm not posting as often as I used to, so it's probably good that I cover more ground when I do.


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...

Add a comment

 
eXTReMe Tracker