]]>

« Home | Hello from Worcester. » | Not cool. » | Even more shocking than my Broadway virginity. » | On Broadway » | Tourists » | Well, color me surprised. » | I'm so tired I think I might go blind. » | Stranded. » | Help me out. » | On the move. »

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

On South Dakota

I'll admit that I talk about South Dakota too much. I'll also admit that my attitude about the state can generally be called "flippant." I joke about our lesser known celebrities (Bob Barker, Cheryl Lladd, Mary Hart) and outside of a small group of friends, I rarely discuss my real concerns about the state (the death of small towns, the flight of educated young people, the crippling poverty on our reservations). What my jokey attitude belies is a fierce devotion to my home. On both sides of my family, I'm the fifth generation to call SoDak home and I now take my role as a de facto ambassador (see here) pretty seriously.

All of that is why I've been disappointed with the liberal/progressive response to South Dakota's new ban on abortion. I completely agree that the law is a horrible and short-sighted effort by the legislature to waste taxpayer money with what will ultimately be frivolous litigation. What disappoints me is not the liberal ire directed at South Dakota's legislature (I, in fact, made my first PAC contribution to a group aimed at changing the balance of that legislature last week) but at the sense of disregard shown for the hundreds of thousands of South Dakotans who agree that the law is a bad idea.

The sentiment that comes across most clearly in the commentary I've read is that any progressive person living in South Dakota should leave (whether it's to the nearby Twin Cities or the even more satisfyingly liberal East and West Coasts). What a great idea. Consolidating liberals in urban and coastal areas has been working so well for us.

I spent this past summer in Berkeley and met a great number of people who were downright shocked that active liberal like me grew up in such a red state. They treated me like I had overcome some great political adversity and had triumphed by making my way out of the state and landing at a liberal New York law school and an even more liberal summer job. Nothing could be farther from the truth. My politics are, more than anything, a result of growing up with family, friends, and neighbors who are guided by a serene combination of compassion and common sense. The vast majority of my most influential mentors still live in South Dakota and they are nothing short of inspirational. In sum, I'm a Democrat because of South Dakota.

Yes, the abortion ban is dumb. Yes, our legislature is crazily conservative. At the end of the day, though, I'm sticking with South Dakota and the people there who not only remember that we've given the world some fantastic progressives (George McGovern and Tom Daschle to highlight my favorites) but also that the state legislature was controlled by Democrats less than 15 years ago. I'm sticking with the people who are willing to stand up and point out the hypocrisy of a legislature that bans abortions but fails to adequately fund education and health programs. I'm sticking with the people who see this as a reason to fight rather than a reason to flee. There's more of them than you think and they shouldn't be disregarded.

In fact, I think East and West Coast liberals generally can take a lesson from prairie progressives. It seems to me that being a devoted member of a vocal minority takes a little more gumption and dedication that surrounding yourself with only those who are like-minded. But, all of this is more opinion that I usually share in a month, so I'm done. Just don't be too quick to give up on places like South Dakota; we've got endurance and one ill-advised statute is certainly not enough to admit defeat.


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...

Add a comment

 
eXTReMe Tracker