]]>

« Home | I think this is fascinating. » | Red pens make me happy. » | Nothing went as planned today, but it all turned o... » | Ew. » | I've been having work flashbacks all day. » | This is maybe my busiest week of law school. » | Happy Easter! » | Almost there. » | This evening has veered off course. » | Super Walmart and Chokecherry Jam »

Friday, April 01, 2005

In the middle.

A few days ago, a friend commented that we're really not 1Ls anymore. Today, that really felt true. The list of next year's classes finally became available this afternoon and I led a group of admitted students on a tour around campus.

I had a good time with my group of admitted students mainly because I always love it when people ask for my advice. It was interesting to note the differences between the students who are just now finishing their undergrad degrees and the ones who've been out of college for a while. The undergrads seemed to be mulling over big questions about whether they really should go to law school next year, if at all. Then older ones seemed more focused on practical concerns. They asked about the challenges of finding affordable housing in New York, about whether their spouses would feel excluded from the law school community, and about the details of everyday life in Manhattan.

Regardless of their ages, all of them exuded at least a little fear. I wanted to say, "Relax! The hard part's over, you've been accepted at a great school and in all likelihood, several other great schools. Don't believe people who tell you there's one right school for you. The real trick to this process is not so much about the research you compile on each school but about trusting yourself enough to actually make the decision. And then, the last hurdle is committing to that decision."

I also wanted to tell them that while there are a few schools that are thought to be "better" than NYU and a lot that are thought to be "worse," if they haven't yet figured out that the quality of an education usually depends more on the student than the school, then they might not ready to be pay this much tuition.

But I didn't tell them that. No one likes a lecture, and besides, this myth that there's one right school for everyone can be reassuring. Instead, I talked about my professors and classmates. I told them the reasons I chose NYU (the real reasons, not the flippant and dumb reasons I usually list). I answered questions about the fun and the challenges that go along with living in the Village. I also showed them my favorite spot in the library and I'm hoping if any of them end up here, they'll recognize that I have first dibs on it.

I don't envy these admitted students. I'm excited about picking new classes, applying for clinics, and taking on leadership roles. I think I wrote earlier this year that I was ready get past the "beginning" of law school and now that's officially happened. I'm glad; middles are fun.


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...

Add a comment

 
eXTReMe Tracker