]]>

« Home | Oh, I remember this feeling. » | Oh, sweet, sweet freedom. » | DC Trip #1 is over. » | And the weekend ends on a high note. » | Muddled. » | Oh, I live in New York. » | I was a high school debater. » | Not what I expected to think about today. » | It's easy to like New York when the weather's nice. » | Miscellany »

Sunday, April 17, 2005

A much-needed escape.

I flew to DC Friday afternoon to attend a huge office reunion. About 400 people who, at some point worked for the senator I worked for, were invited and a lot of them actually showed up. It was a fun, fun night. The word, "family" was thrown around a lot and we were, indeed, a very huggy, kissy, and affectionate group (okay, maybe that was related to the open bar).

The party raged on until well after the appointed end time and then it stumbled down the street to a local bar. The partygoers were, for the most part, boisterous. There was however, a little bit of sadness in the air. I've suspected for a while that my office was special and that was confirmed on Friday. Not everyone, it seems, gets to work with a team they trust for someone and something they believe in and while re-creating that kind of experience is doable, it's also tricky. I've kept in touch with a handful of people from the office and I think after last night, I'll keep in touch with a few more. They said this party was just the "first," hopefully, that's right.

Yesterday, I convinced a college friend to venture into my old neighborhood for lunch. We ate at Jetties (Nobadeer!), which is possibly the best sandwich place anywhere, ever. Then we wandered through Georgetown, which now has both an Anthropologie and a Five Guys(!), bought ice cream at Thomas Sweet (I had pistachio, natch), and continued walking to DuPont Circle where there was, of course, a loud and slighlty ambiguous protest happening.

I was a little surprised by how much I wanted to stay in DC. I guess I shouldn't have been, Friday night was filled with familiar faces and Saturday was the kind of warm, sunny day when even the postage stamp-sized yards in front of rowhouses look inviting.

Not everyone will admit it, but DC has a certain charm. Objectively, I know that New York is a better city; it's more exciting, it's more diverse, it has better food, etc. Despite all that (and the fact that I like being a law student here), I prefer DC and I miss it. I know I'm not the only one who misses our fair capital, so I took the following pictures for Hans Brix and Denny Crane. I'm posting them here as proof that if you know where to look, DC really does have some fine food.

Behold, the Nobadeer (turkey breast, stuffing, and cranberry sauce on sourdough):


A must-have part of any Georgetown shopping trip:


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...

I made the T. Sweet picture the background on my computer. No joke. That's how much I miss Thomas Sweet. Seriously.

Yay! I'm glad the picture has served its intended purpose.

But wait, I'm sure there's someplace in Texas that has the "world's best ice cream." I was under the impression that Texas is the home to the "world's best" everything.

Of course, it's Amy's Ice Cream in Austin, Texas. Thomas Sweet is the next best thing.

Add a comment

 
eXTReMe Tracker