]]>

« Home | DC Trip #1 is over. » | And the weekend ends on a high note. » | Muddled. » | Oh, I live in New York. » | I was a high school debater. » | Not what I expected to think about today. » | It's easy to like New York when the weather's nice. » | Miscellany » | My floor is clean the cleaning men are my new best... » | Too much stuff. »

Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Oh, sweet, sweet freedom.

In theory, I could never have to think about ICWA again. About 30 minutes ago, I finished my second oral argument and right now I'm so happy to be done with it I don't even want to pick up the pile of ICWA research sitting on my floor to throw it away.

Both arguments took place this afternoon and both were surprisingly fun. My "judge" was actually a partner at one of the big, fancy New York law firms and he structured things in a very relaxed and conversational way. My adversaries were well-prepared and articulate. The discussion was good and at the end, the "judge" gave us incredibly helpful feedback. The most distressing part was that some of the things he liked least about my brief were things my lawyering professor liked best. But, I guess that's the way these things go.

The lawyer who judged us provided some helpful advice on creative legal writing and on the way home, my second sparring partner told me about his plans to finish a book he's been writing. The number of law students who have literary ambitions is kind of incredible. It's especially incredible when you consider that most of the briefs we've turned in this week look at lot the same. Each brief I've read has managed to filter out an argument that's unique, but it seems we've all fallen into a kind of predictable writing style. It's annoying. I hope our creativity grows along with our confidence as lawyers.

Anywho, I have no time for literature or other frivolous things; my life is now all outlines, all the time. Woo!


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...

Add a comment

 
eXTReMe Tracker