]]>

« Home | Done and done. » | Watch this space. » | I've been thinking about voice. » | San Bernardino County is huge. » | Work and pleasure reading » | Oh yeah, here's a few more road trip pictures. » | Geez, I'd forgotten how great weekends can be. » | And this fits in well with my last post. » | I might need to get one of these. » | A little bit exhausted. »

Sunday, June 12, 2005

The palm trees still kind of weird me out, but

other than that, I kind of love California. There are lots and lots of reasons to like this state; some silly and some substantial enough to potentially convince me to live here long term. But that's not what this post is about. Actually, I was informed by a New York reader who was in town that this blog gives the impression that I hate New York. I just want to set the record straight: I don't hate New York at all.

New York is actually pretty great. It is, in fact, everything in the world all in one place and I'm crazy lucky to get to live in the middle of it. And so, my admission of the day is that despite my growing love of the West Coast, I've started to miss NYC a little. I miss the West Village and Washington Square Park. I miss my bagel shop and bakery. I miss trips to Central Park. More than all that, I miss the excitement of the city. New York, to me, is a city about achievement. It's tough and fast-paced and despite it's challenges, the city can convince you that anything is possible, that no goal is too far-fetched.

So, that's what I miss. It's not enough for me to want to leave California now and I still maintain that I would despise being a lawyer in New York, but all in all I have good feelings for the city. Plus, the bars stay open 'til 4! How cool is that? Although, the party I attended last night in San Jose raged until 5 so Califorinia can compete, I guess. Uh yeah, California can definitely compete . . .


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...

not really anonymous, I just don't remember my password (you can call me Hans Brix).

Anyway, my main CA v. NY complaint has always been that in California, I drive *everywhere.* Partially, it's because I'm excited to have access to a car, but also because everyone else drives. I like New York because I don't blink at the idea of walking 20 blocks just to get ice cream.

Good point, HB. In NY, I'll walk to Union Square any time I want fresh produce. Last night, I seriously contemplated driving to Berkeley Bowl (which is, at most, 5 blocks from my house).

Although, to be fair, having a Target that's only a 10-minute drive away is waaaaaay better than having to trek out to Brooklyn or Jersey City on the subway or the PATH train.

Add a comment

 
eXTReMe Tracker