]]>

« Home | A list of things that have very little in common w... » | "When the day goes down on Watertown . . ." » | What do you do with a bowl of pennies? » | I don't know what to say about last night. » | My day so far. » | My last hours as a 1L. » | Yawn. » | One more day of studying. » | Wanderlust, etc. » | Chugging along. »

Saturday, May 21, 2005

Roadtrip Dispatch #1: Montana's Big.

My mom and I started the "California or Bust" roadtrip yesterday afternoon. The first stop was my grandma's house. Along the way, we saw 40 pheasant by the side of the road (as well as countless others in the fields), seven frolicking deer, two duck families, and two jackrabbits. The fields were green and the sky was clear. All in all, a great drive. After picking up my grandma, we made a quick trip to my aunt and uncle's drive-in in Bowdle for ice cream (to eat immediately) and fleishkeuchle (for the road).

The drive-in:
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

We hit the road around 7:00am and stopped in Mobridge to see Sitting Bull's gravesite:
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


Here's Sitting Bull's view of the Missouri River:
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

By late morning, we were in Lemmon, SD. The drive between Mobridge and Lemmon goes through the only part of SoDak I've never visited before, so that was kind of exciting. Also, Dakota: A Spiritual Geography, one of my favorite books was written by an author from Lemmon. Oh, and there's Lemmon's Petrified Forest, which is quite possibly the most bizarre thing I've seen in my home state (and really, that's saying something). This description's pretty accurate.

Here's one of the concrete/petrified wood cones:
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Nearly the rest of the day has been spent crossing Montana. Somehow, in the 10 months since I last did this drive, I managed to forget just big this state is. I'm not complaining, though; we're in the mountains now, so the drive is gorgeous. Also, all the gas stations sell Fat Tire beer. Yum.

The Rockies:
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...

Add a comment

 
eXTReMe Tracker