]]>

« Home | A few of days ago, » | So, I decided to be a bit academic last night » | My action-packed weekend: a rundown with lots of l... » | I've got plans to go hiking near Point Reyes tomor... » | Pizza and pocketwatches » | And this is the part of the show where I complain ... » | The palm trees still kind of weird me out, but » | Done and done. » | Watch this space. » | I've been thinking about voice. »

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Berkeley's on my shitlist.*

Or maybe it's Oakland. Either way, someone stole one of my license plates. Just went up, unscrewed the screws and walked away with my plate (and the screws). I suspect it was a college kid who was amused by my South Dakota plates. Amusement is fine, taking the plate isn't. I'm currently waiting for the Berkeley police to call me back so that I can fully report the missing plate, just in case it is now sitting on a car that's leaving a crime scene rather than decorating the wall of some undergrad's bedroom. My parents are alterting the South Dakota authorities so that the records there can be updated as well. I expect I'll have to get all new plates which poses two problems: 1) I'll have to pay for all new plates which will really piss me off, and 2) I'll have to memorize all new license plate numbers which, despite the fact that I tend to have a pretty good memory, has proven difficult in the past.

The worst part is that half of my car is now bare. I know some states only require one plate, but SoDak requires two and I like that. The SoDak plates give me a certain freedom -- when I execute a slightly ill-advised or illegal driving manuever, I can simply point to the plates and imply that I'm fresh off the farm. Disingenuous? Yes, but helpful nonetheless. And now, I can only do that half the time. Damn college kids.


UPDATE: I now have a case number and the police officer who filed my report assured me I'm now exempt from any liability if someone commits a crime while driving a car bearing my plates. Ahh liability, that officer sure know how to sweet-talk a law student.


* Please excuse my swearing.


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...

Add a comment

 
eXTReMe Tracker