]]>

« Home | I lost my glasses » | I wish I'd had my camera. » | A long day » | As long as I'm discussing my favorite things » | Fishs Eddy » | I heart New York » | "Goodbye nice girl, enjoy your soup!" » | Peer Pressure » | The most fun thing I did today. » | A grown-up when I want to be. »

Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Law school is a health hazard.

In early October, I started noticing that once or twice a day I would lose feeling on the insides of my hands. In early November, I saw a doctor about my allergies and I also mentioned the hand thing. She was surprisingly concerned, and set up an appointment for me to see a hand surgeon. Yesterday, Health Services called to tell me that after "discussing my case," they felt it was better for me to see a sports medicine doctor. Ha. The only way I'm an athlete is if reading and typing have recently become sports. I brushed this concern aside, however, and agreed to the switch.

I saw the sports doctor this morning. First things first, he was cute. Very cute. Cute in a "I'm really young and while I know what I'm talking about, I'm not quite comfortable explaining that knowledge to patients just yet" kind of way. After several arm and hand exercises, the cute doctor diagnosed me with Cubital Tunnel Syndrome, which really just means there's too much pressure on a nerve in my elbow.

The cute doctor then reccomended that I have their Occupational Therpist make me splints for when I'm asleep and elbow pads for when I'm studying. That suggestion immediately made me think of the scene from A Mighty Wind with kid who had to play chess in a football helmet. I think I'll pass. Besides, the doctor told me that so far, the CTS isn't affecting the muscles in my hand. If I get to the point where I can no longer bend my little finger, then I'll give some serious thought to the protective gear.

I was a littled disappointed by the visit. I expected that consulting a sports medicine doctor would generate at least one instruction to "play through the pain." The bright side is that having a diagnosed studying-related injury gives way more credibility to my stories about the stress of law school.

In unrelated news, I redeemed a gift certificate at Old Navy today. When I showed the cashier my driver's license, she asked me if I was from a foreign country. Um, no. South Dakota's far away, but it's not foreign.


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...

Add a comment

 
eXTReMe Tracker