]]>

« Home | Finals Dispatch #5 » | Final Dispatch #4 » | I just had a rather silly moment. » | Finals Dispatch #3 » | Finals Dispatch #2 » | Finals Dispatch #1 » | Employing a good luck charm. » | The movie was a good idea. » | What a crappy day. » | The Argus strikes again. »

Thursday, December 09, 2004

A good day for mail.

I love stationery; greeting cards, notecards, personalized writing paper, postcards, all of it. Not surprisingly, I seek out good stationery stores. In DC, I was lucky, there's a great stationery store across the street from my favorite used book store in Georgetown. Last year, right before Christmas, they had this fantastic line of Christmas cards that are blank inside but have great messages on the back of the cards. Unfortunately, I'd already purchased other cards to send out, so I didn't buy them. I did, however, remember the name of the studio that made them and I contacted them a few weeks ago to see if I could buy the cards somewhere in New York.

Since then, I've been corresponding by email with the creator of the cards (you can check out her regular line here) and she agreed to send me a special shipment of the cards. They arrived today and are currently sitting on my desk, quietly drawing my attention away from the last-minute Contracts studying that I should be doing. I don't want to relearn UCC ยง 2-207, I want to write Christmas greetings to my friends right now.

I've always found something deeply satisfying about sending and receiving cards and letters. Handwritten greetings are wonderfully personal and thoughtful. I like the intimacy of handwriting and knowing that the writer wasn't able to use spell-check or delete when they penned the message. And, in a world of email, instant messenger, and cell phones, the fact that someone has taken the time to write, seal, stamp, and mail a greeting is flattering. I received a Christmas card and letter from my grandmother today. It's short and sweet and it completely brightened my afternoon.

So, anyway, I think I'll ration the cards out over the next couple weeks. I've got about 20 or 25 to write, so maybe I'll just allow myself a couple per day. Watch your mailbox!


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...

Add a comment

 
eXTReMe Tracker