]]>

« Home | Whew. » | Road Trip Dispatch #4: I'm here! » | Road Trip Dispatch #3: Californiaaaaaaaaa! » | Road Trip Dispatch #2: Good company, good food. » | Roadtrip Dispatch #1: Montana's Big. » | A list of things that have very little in common w... » | "When the day goes down on Watertown . . ." » | What do you do with a bowl of pennies? » | I don't know what to say about last night. » | My day so far. »

Sunday, May 29, 2005

Here then, at home . . .

I'm back in SoDak. I woke up in Berkeley this morning at 4:15am, showered, went to the airport, flew to Minneapolis, hung out for a few hours, flew to Omaha and then rode to Sioux Falls. It was a long trip.

Midwest Optimist and her boyfriend picked me up in Omaha in their rented convertible and we made the trip up I-29 to Sioux Falls in style. I went out to dinner at the Tea Steakhouse (a great restaurant, by the way, if you're every rolling down I-29 near Sioux Falls and looking for a tasty slab of steak) in Tea, SD with a small group of friends and then met up at a Sioux Falls cigar bar with a larger group of friends who are in town for tomorrow's wedding. It's been great. The comfort of old friends is something for which there's no easy description other than to say that I'm home and it feels good.

It also feels good to have a taste of Midwestern summer. The week that I was home after finals was mostly dreary and rainy. When it was sunny, I was inside working on my writing competition entry or packing for California. Today, as soon as I got off the plane in Omaha, I smelled the "summer on the prairie" smell. It's a combination of grass and soil and crops. It's fresh but also a little dry, and it smells like everything I remember summer to be. I'm grateful for two days to enjoy my friends and Sioux Falls. This wedding feels like the end of an era for a lot of reasons, and I'm glad I get to be here for it.

UPDATE: The wedding was beautiful. I have wonderful friends. It's hard to leave.


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...

Add a comment

 
eXTReMe Tracker