]]>

« Home | At least I don't have to cook a turkey this year. » | Tomorrow's not just Thanksgiving. » | Law school is a health hazard. » | I lost my glasses » | I wish I'd had my camera. » | A long day » | As long as I'm discussing my favorite things » | Fishs Eddy » | I heart New York » | "Goodbye nice girl, enjoy your soup!" »

Friday, November 26, 2004

Blue, Orange, Red

Yesterday, I saw a Mark Rothko poster in a friend's apartment and it reminded me how much I miss the Hirschhorn Museum, one of my favorite places in Washington, DC. When I was feeling particularly stressed, I would go to the Hirschhorn just to see this one Rothko painting, Blue, Orange, Red. I'm still not sure exactly what it was about it, but that painting always made me feel calm. After a while, I bought a postcard of it and tacked it up at my desk at work. It was less effective than the original, but still helpful.

I think I need to start a search for a painting in New York that has a similar effect. I went to the Metropolitan Museum of Art the first time I came to NYC. That was about 18 months ago and the only thing I really remember is the Frank Lloyd Wright room. I like most art museums, but I've found that modern art museums are usually the most fun. So, after Christmas, I'll be branching out.

In general, I need to find more places in New York that I love. A few days ago, a friend from high school who I haven't seen in years emailed me because she and her husband recently moved to DC and she wants reccomendations for fun things to do in the area. As I finished up page five of my list of suggestions for her (entitled, "Day Trips"), I realized that I knew DC pretty well by the time I left. The great thing about that knowledge was that I had a place for just about every mood. Stressed? Go see Blue, Orange, Red. Celebratory? Go eat ceviche at Guajillo. Angry? Go run on the C & O Canal Path. Tired, depressed, and lonely? Go get a Nobadeer sandwich from Jetties, sit in the basement, and watch an E! True Hollywood Story.

I think I need to have those kinds of resources anywhere that I live. So, thank you, Mark Rothko, for reminding me to make NYC my city.


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...

Add a comment

 
eXTReMe Tracker