]]>

« Home | Yay, yay, yay! » | Washington Square Park was especially charming thi... » | This was a fun, narcissistic distraction. » | Let's chat for a minute about my love of margarita... » | New stuff » | I'm a little distracted. » | A much-needed escape. » | Oh, I remember this feeling. » | Oh, sweet, sweet freedom. » | DC Trip #1 is over. »

Sunday, April 24, 2005

Law school has sucked the spontaneity from my life.

A year ago, for my birthday, Denny Crane and I left work early one Friday afternoon and drove to Richmond for a concert. The concert was fun and neither of us had plans for the weekend, so we decided impulsively to keep driving and go to a Bluegrass/Country music festival (Merlefest) in Wilkesboro, NC. Despite a mutual hatred for Walmart, we stopped at one (it was the only place open) in Richmond and stocked up for the weekend (licorice, crackers, that cheese that comes in a spray can, baby carrots, and extra t-shirts). We left Richmond a little before midnight and arrived in Wilkesboro around 4:00am. Smart girls that we are, we parked my car in K-Mart parking lot, reclined our seats, and slept. After a couple hours, we moved the car because shoppers were starting to give us funny looks.

Around 9:00, we stopped in Walmart (again, I know, I'm sorry) and asked the cashiers where we could get a good breakfast. We followed their directions to a diner that had, hands down, the world's best Southern breakfast buffet. Those people knew they're way around a deep fryer. High on carbohydrates and coffee, we went to the festival and the music was fantastic. We left Wilkesboro at dusk and drove through a hilly part of North Carolina. The little valleys between the hills were filled with low-lying clouds. That, combined with the evening light was a breathtaking sight.

This morning, as I've furtively tried to complete my Torts outline, I've been listening to a CD I bought at the festival and lamenting the fact that I can't roadtrip for my birthday (two years ago, I convinced Hans Brix to join me on a Chinatown bus trip to NYC). In general, law school hasn't allowed me much freedom to travel. I sort of doubt that situation's going to improve next year, so I'm planning to make the most of my summer.

I've already got a decent list of places that are must-sees while I'm in California, but I'm open to any and all suggestions. So, email or post your recommendations. I'll be living in Berkeley, but I'm not put off by driving a few hours to see, do, or eat something great.


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...

I think there was a crack shack somewhere along the way. I'm so bummed about missing Merefest this year. Crappy contracts final.

I'll come visit, and we can take a road trip to Napa this summer!

There was a Crack Shack and I believe I taught you the super-secret, super-cheap meal trick there.

We have to make solemn vows to return to Merlefest once this law school thing is over. I was planning to attend Bonnaroo if I was in DC this summer, but alas, a trip to Tennessee is not possible now.

You should definitely come visit this summer!

Bonnaroo = worst experience of my life.ever. I'm out for that one.

A repeat Merlefest it totally necessary before this whole law school thing is over. I can taste the spray cheese already...

Add a comment

 
eXTReMe Tracker